Before someone decides to file for divorce in the state Of Iowa, they should be aware of some of the details provided by the law. For starters, anyone who files for divorce must have been a resident of the state for at least one year prior to the filing for divorce. And not just any kind of resident, but a “bona fide” resident. If the married couple has a minor child or minor children who live with the other spouse and have been doing so for the last six months, then it is advisable to file for divorce in the state that has jurisdiction over the children. The other spouse can also waive that jurisdiction in writing.

Many people often wander in what county they should file the divorce. One should file for divorce in the county where their spouse lives. It is also possible to file the divorce in the county where they both lived when they separated or in their own county if the other spouse lives in another state. Either the spouse who files for divorce or the other spouse must have an Iowa address in the county of filing. People who are Iowa civilian residents but who live overseas can file for divorce in Iowa, but only if they have maintained their residency in Iowa. Discovery is the name of the legal mechanism designed to gather information on the petitioner and on the respondent. There will also be interrogatories and depositions. Once the judge of the divorce court has made a decision, the parties will sign the divorce order, which can be appealed. First you can file a motion, which implies requesting a new hearing and will be filed with the same judge. If the motion is denied, one can file an appeal with the appellate court. The decision of the appellate court will be the final one.