Child Support

Child support legislation is very specific and it differs from state to state. Sometimes the differences are quite significant, so it is always better to consult with a lawyer.

In Iowa, for instance, parents have the legal obligation to support their children until they turn 18 or sometimes even 19 if they have to finish high school. Also, children with disabilities have the right to be supported by their parents indefinitely.

When parents are divorced, the child support one of the parents must pay should never be directly sent to the other parents. The law says that all child support payments has to be sent to either the clerk of court office or to the collection services center of the department of human services. Any parent who is puzzled about the exact address where they should send their child support should check their court order carefully: it’s bound to specify exactly where the money must be sent.

In some cases, the court can modify the child support order, especially if significant changes of circumstances occur. Some examples would be: when the party that has to pay the child support suffers changes in employment, or when the income or resources of a party change. Also, other reasons could be changes in the medical expenses of the party concerned, changes in the residence of that party or even the possibility of that child being supported by somebody else. Remarriage of a party is also a good reason. Of course, if a party breaks the existing child support court orders, that’s also a good reason for the child support amount to be changed.

Also, if one fails to pay their child support in due time for no good reason, they will also have to pay penalties as well. There are also several legal ways in which a child support order can be enforced. The law states these ways clearly but it is always safer to consult with a lawyer.